Friday, January 16, 2009

2009

As is usually the case half the month has passed and I've let time get away. I hope 2009 has been good to all so far.

The holiday season was slow for Scarves From The Heart. A couple of you sent scarves for the winter season, but I know with the economy Christmas Knitting was a priority for many.

I've been enjoying working with a new yarn that has just become available to the public. It's Mini Mochi yarn from Crystal Palace Yarns and can be purchased at Jimmy Beans Wool and Yarn Market The price is very close at both sites, but I didn't check into the cost of shipping at either. I'm not sure if it has shipped out to stores yet. The color on this picture isn't real accurate, but it gives you an idea of the scarf I'm working on. I cast on 46 stitches using a cable cast on, making the scarf just over 4 inches wide. I pulled from the inside of the first ball and completed two rows, then tied on the second ball, pulling from the outside and doing the next two rows. The pattern is knit 1, purl 1 across, slipping the first stitch of every row purlwise. When changing balls of yarn, slip the first stitch and purl the second stitch using the ball from two rows below. You'll be surprised at how little the drawn up yarn shows. I'll be trying this same method with a variegated yarn and black yarn soon.
The portion at the center back of the chair, the part that looks tan is actually more green than it appears and the orangey section is more a coppery orange.
The yarn is very soft, it's 20% nylon and 80% merino and is not highly twisted. It's not a yarn you'll want to frog often so I wouldn't recommend it for a beginning knitter.
Hope you're all well and enjoying lots of fun knitting projects. For those of you who may live in the regions getting the bitter cold temperatures I hope you are all safe and warm.

No comments: